by Crystal McCausland
What is it?
Boardmaker is an online system that allows you to produce good-quality symbol adapted curriculum materials for students with disabilities. You can try out the community version for free (which has very limited capabilities) or purchase a personal, professional or district membership.
How can it benefit my students?
Any pupils who have difficulties with reading, writing, speaking, listening or interacting are likely to benefit from picture and symbol support for working in all areas of the curriculum.
Here are some different ways it can be used.
- Build a visual schedule or calendar for students to follow and check off as they complete each item.
- Create interactive activities for students to manipulate.
- Use visuals to help increase student vocabulary and comprehension skills.
- Help students to communicate through symbol support.
- Use the bar timer as a visual time marker to keep students on track.
- Have students type out messages with symbols or input symbols into text to enhance understanding.
- Add videos into a template to make concepts more concrete and easier to understand.
- Create a class book using symbols.
- Search Boardmaker’s database for pre-made activities to help with literacy or math skills.
Click here to see a video on how to use this tool.